Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Friday, April 9, 2010

Criminal Sentence 371: Well, Then

From a blog (regarding how many queries the writer has in her inbox):

"I do believe I have fewer then 25 waiting to be read and responded to..."

"Than" is usually used in comparisons, as in "fewer than."
"Then" is usually used to indicate time, as in "Then, we went to the movies."

Sometimes I think this mistake is a typo, but then I truly think some don't know the difference between "then" and "than."

Is it a typo for you or confusion?

1 comment:

ChildsPlay said...

I think it is because some people say "fewer than" or "less than" sloppily, so other people hear "then" instead of "than".