Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Friday, April 2, 2010

Criminal Sentence 367: Decimal Schmecimal


What a wonderful per-person price! Less than one cent each?!
It should be either of these options, as my third-grader reminded me when I mentioned there was a mistake on this item:

1) 99 cents
2) $0.99

4 comments:

ChildsPlay said...

That is one of my biggest pet peaves. I am always tempted to say, "Here's a penny. Keep the change."

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Try saying it sometime and report what happens!


(By the way, check your spelling! Pet peeves!)

Westley said...

I used to stop at the discount cart near the entrance of our local WalMart, looking specifically for that decimal point error; it was easy enough to find almost every time!

Just to make a point (pun intended) I'd rip the sign, removing either the '.' or the '¢' and offer it to any clerk that happened to be near. One time I had a clerk accost me, and he demanded to know why I was defacing their signs. I tried to explain it to him, but he just didn’t understand. A manager came over to see what all the fracas was, and HE didn’t understand. Suddenly a customer walked by, stopped, and said, “I teach third grade, and MY students know the difference!” She stormed off, leaving both employees speechless.

I left quickly. :-)

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Thanks for sharing that hilarious story!