Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Criminal Sentence 320: Comma fix

From a blog post:

"I wanted to write fiction, but couldn’t seem to sell it."

This comma is not necessary. Usually, a comma separates two complete sentences before a "but" or "and." So a comma would be necessary if another "I" appeared:

"I wanted to write fiction, but I couldn’t seem to sell it."

I would recommend no comma if there isn't a second "I," but some might say they like the comma because it adds a pause.

No comments: