Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Criminal Sentence 300: Free. Free.

I redeemed my free birthday coffee today, thanks to a card I got in the mail:

"Come in for your free birthday drink. On us."

I appreciated getting a free drink but was wondering why they had to say it was free twice:

free = free
on us = free

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

I'm always amused (and sometimes irked) by the redundant "Free Gift" offers.

leeflailmarch said...

Belated happy birthday!

Maybe they're emphasizing because it seems unbelievable to some that few things can still be obtained free nowadays.

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes. ;)