Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Criminal Sentence 236: To or Too

Seen on the side of an electrician's truck:

"No job to small"

to/too/two: different spellings and different meanings!

It's "to" bad the electrician didn't check his spelling before he printed his sign!

3 comments:

Westley Turner said...

It's too bad that the printer didn't comment on the misspelling...or is it really the printer's job to proofread? Does the printer just print what's given to him, or is it his responsibility to at least comment to the client that there might be some kind of issue with the message?? What do you think?

The Sentence Sleuth said...

I've never worked at a printer's so I'm not sure. I do proofread sometimes for graphic designers and unless the client wants proofreading, the designers just design whatever the client provides.
I agree that printers should be able to catch dumb mistakes, but that's wishful thinking.

Emily said...

Here's one that I just saw: "So much too see is right!" This from a guy who graduated top in his class.
A note about the printer: I recently went to a bachelorette party, and the t-shirts said "Helping Melissa to the alter..." I really wish the printer had caught that one! Melissa's dress already seemed to fit pretty well. I couldn't bring myself to tell the bride-to-be's sister about her mistake.