Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Criminal Sentence 587: Here Comes Agreement

A headline in today's paper:

"Here comes 18 months of wasted time"

I would say, "come," since "18 months" is plural. Did the headline writer think of "18 months of wasted time" as a single idea? Seems like a stretch to me! You?

2 comments:

Rah said...

Yes. I think the intent was to present "18 months of wasted time" as a single idea and not as specific months. I would use "comes."

It would be different if he didn't include "of wasted time."

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Thanks for your input. I can see it is open to interpretation.