Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Poll Results 57

This was the question:

How many errors are in this sentence? "The paramedic, who tried to staunch the flow of blood rushed patient to the hospital."

One
16 (11%)
Two
81 (56%)
Three
42 (29%)
None
5 (3%)

So 29% of you are correct. Here are the three errors:

1) To staunch should be to stanch. These two words are confused all the time. Staunch is an adjective meaning firm, as in I am a staunch believer in good spelling. Stanch is a verb that means to stop the flow, as in I stanched the flow of blood coming from my head.
2) You can't have just one comma. You need either two (the second one would be after blood) or none, depending on the context.
3) The word the is missing before patient.

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I was in Italy. I highly recommend Pompeii!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I ask where the extract was from? "Staunch" as a verb meaning to stop the flow of something is correct usage in British English. See Chambers dictionary: http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=staunch&title=21st&sourceid=Mozilla-search

The Sentence Sleuth said...

I actually made the bad sentence up. It appears you're right about staunch, but I believe that in the USA stanch is preferred.
Thanks for your comment.