Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Criminal Sentence 294: Double Prepositions

Overheard on TV:

"That's the code in which I live by."

This is spectacularly bad. It uses two prepositions when only one is needed, and it uses two distinct ones, too. Here's what it should say:

"That's the code by which I live."

or

"That's the code I live by."

A similar error crops up in a Beatles song:

"the world in which we live in"

1 comment:

Amber said...

That's actually a Paul McCartney song. But yes, it always bothered me until I decided to pretend that he's actually singing, "the world in which we're livin'." I don't believe it for a second, but I can pretend.