- Get a writing buddy and check each other’s work.
- Before you call something finished, leave some time to let it sit. Then go back and reread it with a critical eye.
- Use a dictionary and Spell Check to make sure you’re using the right word and the right spelling. Don’t rely on Spell Check because it doesn’t catch word errors.
- Read your work aloud in a monotone so you read what is actually there, not what your brain expects.
- Become familiar with the kinds of mistakes you often make (its/it’s, etc.) and look out for them.
Ask Me a Question
If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.
Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!
If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).