Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Friday, May 2, 2008

Criminal Sentence 9: Crazy Caps

From an ad in today's newspaper:

"All Prices slashed for Immediate liquidation."

Capital letters indicate you're starting a sentence or using a proper name. A proper name is a city's name, or a product's name, or a person's name, for example. "Prices" and "Immediate" are not proper names, so these words should start with a lowercase letter. I often see this random use of caps, perhaps an attempt to make words stand out.

I find It rather Annoying. And I wish Writers would Stop doing it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Using CAPS for emphasis is much more effective, and is also cleaner-looking. All prices SLASHED!

Love your WD articles!

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Thanks, Jacob. I have fun writing the articles. Any topics you wish I would cover?

Dan said...

Bonnie,

I love the blog and your entries. Keep up the great work.

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Thank you!