Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Criminal Sentence 21: Not Her's

From an online book review I saw this morning:

"I'm a big fan of her's."

I'm not a big fan of that. "Her's" is not a word. "Hers" is a possessive adjective, and possessive adjectives do not use apostrophes. Other possessives, such as Jake's or the teacher's, do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't "hers" still be incorrect?

The Sentence Sleuth said...

Consider "She's a friend of mine." You can't write "a friend of me" or "a friend of my."
"Hers" is therefore correct.