Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Monday, December 19, 2011

Poll Results 163

Here was the question:

What's wrong here? "At five fifty one of the kitchen guys reported for work."

The time should be spelled out.
5 (10%)
The grammar is incorrect.
4 (8%)
A punctuation mark might be necessary.
35 (74%)
Nothing is wrong.
3 (6%)

I agree with 74% of you. The sentence is not incorrect, but it could be confusing. I would add a comma:

"At five fifty, one of the kitchen guys reported for work."

3 comments:

Duncan said...

I would have written "At 5.50pm one of the kitchen guys reported for work.".

PatrickB said...

I agree with Duncan. I would have written 5:50 PM (AM?), followed by that comma. Since the word following the comma is "one," I would definitely write out the time. Otherwise, the reader could read 5:51 instead of 5:50. I know the comma helps, but it doesn't make it any less awkward. The other problem is that there are to 5:50s in most days, and the reader doesn't know if the writer is referring to morning or early evening.

PatrickB said...

edit from last post:

-I would write out the time (using numbers)

-two, not to.

Ugh.