Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Criminal Sentence 298: I'm Guilty

This, unfortunately, is my own Criminal Sentence. Luckily, I caught it before it was published:

"Pompous-sounding and out-of-place vocabulary attract negative attention."

Yikes! That should be "attracts." The subject is "vocabulary," which is singular. I got distracted by the two compound adjectives.

You can read this corrected sentence, and the rest of my extremely grammatical article, on Thursday, when my new Writermag.com column comes out.

No comments: