Ask Me a Question

If you have a writing, grammar, style or punctuation question, send an e-mail message to curiouscase at sign hotmail dot com.

Add Your Own Criminal Sentence!

If you find a particularly terrible sentence somewhere, post it for all to see (go here and put it in the Comments section).

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Criminal Sentence 84: Site vs. Sight

From a blog writer who was lamenting she had gotten too caught up in publicity:

"I had gotten so caught up in the ego of the blog that I lost site of my true role."

This is a common type of mistake that I've covered before. In this sentence, the writer meant "sight" instead of "site." I guess the writer was thinking about Web sites when she was writing her post.

It's hard to catch yourself making a mistake like this, so beware of similar-sounding words.

No comments: